Following the Feast of Theophany (January 6 – celebrated on the Eve at the 6pm Liturgy on January 5), it is the practice of Orthodox Christians to have their homes blessed. Please make note of the following items and find a time below that would be good for me to visit for this blessing.
- When a home is blessed, I will bring the Holy Water for the blessing.
- Families should supply a candle(s) and an icon of the Lord or of the Theophany (Baptism of Christ).
- The family should provide a list of all family members, living and deceased.
- The icon should be placed on a clean table with a cloth on it or the family icon corner can be used.
- It is good for candles to be lit. The house should be clean, with all radios and televisions off.
- All the rooms will be blessed. In homes with children, it is always good for the little ones to carry a candle or a small cross and “lead” the priest throughout the house. An elder member of the house may also do this.
- Please do not feed me. Though I recognize and appreciate deeply the kindness intended, it is not helpful for me to eat at each home.
- Any gratuity given at home blessings will be used to serve those in need within our community. You are encouraged though not expected to offer a gratuity.
Please fill out the form below. Locate your zip code which may be on one or more dates. Check off a time that works for you. If you can’t find your Zip Code or an acceptable time, please leave a comment in the comment box.